National Smile Month is the largest and longest running oral health promotion campaign in the UK. It promotes the importance of good oral hygiene, encouraging people across the nation to look after their mouths effectively.
This year running between 13th May and 13th June, it is an initiative that the team at BPI Dental wholeheartedly support. It provides an opportunity to remind everyone of good basic oral hygiene habits. It also helps people of all ages, genders, backgrounds and beliefs to take better care of their teeth and gums.
Why is oral hygiene important?
As you know, good oral health means you will keep your natural teeth for longer. You will experience fewer problems with your teeth and gums, enabling you to continue eating your favourite foods and speaking normally. You will also have a smile you can be proud of and avoid bad breath, providing the benefits of greater self-confidence as a result. In addition, good oral health reduces the risks associated with various general health conditions, from heart disease to diabetes and even cancer. For women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, dental hygiene has been connected to reduced risks of premature birth or low birth weight as well.
The advantages of oral hygiene really are endless!
Oral hygiene recap
Keeping your teeth and gums healthy is easy when you know how and you have the right tools. Here’s a recap of the main things you should know:
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time
- Clean between the teeth using floss, interdental brushes or a water flosser once a day
- Use a toothpaste with the appropriate amount of fluoride (ask your dental team for advice if needed)
- Clean around or underneath any crowns, bridges, implants or dentures every day, just as you would your natural teeth
- Visit your BPI Dental dentist and/or dental hygienist regularly
- Wait at least half an hour after eating or drinking sugary or fizzy food and drink before brushing your teeth
- Drink plenty of water every day
- Try sugar-free chewing gum between meals
How can you get involved with National Smile Month?
There are lots of ways you can get involved with National Smile Month. The easiest is to get yourself a ‘Smiley’ from the Oral Health Foundation and show it off on social media to help spread the word. If you want to make it a company effort you can even order branded Smileys. Why not also join the Smileathon by getting a group of friends or family together and using #smileathon on Twitter and Facebook?
Other fun activities being run by the Oral Health Foundation this year include the Two Minute Challenge and a Brushathon. Or you can organise your own event to raise awareness at your workplace or school. Whatever you do, let BPI Dental know what you’re up to!